Advising FAQ


What is advising?

Advising is an important time of the semester during which students meet with their faculty advisors to discuss classes for the upcoming semester, their overall academic plan and enrichment opportunities such as internships and studying abroad.

Do I have to attend advising?

Yes. The only way to be released to register for classes is to attend an advising session. Even if you have a financial hold on your account or if you’re unsure whether or not you will enroll the next semester, you should always plan to attend advising.

When is advising?

Advising appointments are typically held during a two-week period officially scheduled by the university each semester. Spring semester advising occurs each October, and summer and fall semester advising occurs each March. See the university academic calendar for official dates.

Who is my advisor?

Students can see the advisor they have been assigned to by checking their myState homepage and/or student record in Banner. All faculty advisors’ office numbers, phone numbers and email addresses can be found at

How do I contact my advisor?

About a week before advising, your advisor will contact you through your campus email to set up an appointment. You will be given several options of days and times to meet with your advisor.

How should I prepare for my advising appointment?

A few days prior to your appointment, run a new CAPP report to see the progress you are making within the curriculum, and check the Master Class Schedule in Banner to see course offerings for the upcoming semester. With that information, put together a rough list of classes you plan to take the next semester. Although you will likely only enroll in five or six classes, plan to have a list of additional class options prepared as your “back up” choices. Your advisor will review your list with you and provide guidance on how to best proceed. Also, prepare any questions you have about your academic progress or related issues before your appointment to best maximize your time with your advisor.

What is Degree Works?

All MSU students have access to the degree audit system Degree Works in myState. Degree Works helps students and advisors track progress towards graduation. It outlines all courses required for the chosen major and which courses have been completed or remain to be taken. The system also shows hours earned, GPAs, and transfer hours.

How do I run a Degree Works report?

Directions for running a Degree Works report can be found in the Advising Hub on your Canvas tab in myState.

How do I register for classes?

Directions for viewing the Master Class Schedule and for registering for classes can be found in the Advising Hub on your Classroom tab in myState.

What should I do if a class I need is full?

If a Communication class you need to take is full before you register, please fill out the Force Add Request Form, which can be found on our website,, during the advising and preregistration period. Choose the “Academics” tab and click on “Advising.” The form is in the bottom right corner of that page. If the class you’d like to be forced into is outside of Communication, you will have to contact that department directly.

What is a Force/Add request?

Each semester our department lowers the seat limits on many of our Communication classes to allow us to force a spot for students who REALLY NEED certain classes. If you have been advised to take any CO classes that appear full when you first try to register, please complete a Force/Add request form online for each class needed. We do not process Force Add Request Forms for CO 1003 and CO 1013.

Where do I find the Force/Add request form?

The Force/Add request form is found on our website under Current Students, Advising. This form is only active during the initial registration period each semester. If the Force/Add link is not active, please email Haylee Crouch at

Do I have to fill out a separate Force/Add request form for each class I request to be forced into?

Yes. A form is filled out for each class needed. We do not process Force Add Request Forms for CO 1003 and CO 1013.

How long does it take to find out if I have been forced into a course after filling out a Force/Add request form?

You will receive an email once your Force/Add request has been reviewed. Please allow two weeks for a response about your request.

How long do I have to add a course to my schedule once I have been forced into the course via the Force/Add request form?

You have two weeks to add the class once you have been forced into it. If you have a hold on your account, or another reason you are unable to add the class please notify Haylee Crouch at The reason for this time frame is because there are other students on a wait-list who also need this class.

What happens if I need to be forced into a class after the Force/Add request time has passed?

If the Force/Add link is no longer posted on the website, this means the link is not active. You will need to email Haylee Crouch at Please include the class and section number you need forced into.

How do I add or drop a class after advising is over/once the new semester starts?

Once students enroll in classes for the upcoming semester, they can make any changes they wish to through Banner for several weeks. Once the semester starts, students have until 5 p.m. on the fifth day of classes to drop and until 8 a.m. on the sixth day of classes to add. After that, students have until the mid-point of the semester to drop a class with a paper form that can be obtained in the main office (130 McComas). Dropping a class after the fifth day of classes through the mid-point of the semester will result in a “W” grade for the class and a $50 drop fee being assessed to the student’s account. After the mid-point of the semester, students can only withdraw from their schedule entirely. For official add/drop dates and deadlines, please see the university academic calendar.

What do I do if I want to take a course at a community college or a college other than MSU?

Off-campus courses should be approved to ensure they will transfer to MSU. Once you know what class(es) you want to take and what college you plan to attend, fill out an
Off-Campus Request Form. This form is found on the Communication Advising Hub or can be picked up at the department's main office (130 McComas). When the form is filled out, bring it to the main office or email it to

What is the Communication Advising Hub?

The Communication Advising Hub is a central location under the Classroom tab in myState that houses all advising forms, handouts, and information dealing with advising. You can also access the hub in Canvas.

How do I access the Communication Advising Hub?

To access the Communication Advising Hub, sign in to myState, click on the Classroom tab, and you should see the Communication Advising Hub as an option. You can also log into Canvas with your MSU netID and password and you will see a link to the hub.

What information can I find in the Communication Advising Hub?

  • Curriculum sheets for each concentration
  • GSP Exam Information
  • Laptop and camera information
  • Advising forms
  • University dates and deadlines
  • GPA calculator
  • Transfer course equivalents
  • Override/Force Add information
  • Much more advising information

What is the GSP Exam and how do I take it?

The GSP Exam is the Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation Exam. Effective Spring 2017, all students are required to take the GSP Exam and pass with a score of 70% or better before starting CO 2413 Intro to News Writing. For GSP FAQs, a GSP spelling and word usage list, GSP helpful Internet sites, and GSP exam directions, please visit the Communication Advising Hub. 

How do I change my major and/or concentration?

Non-Communication students who would like to change their major to Communication should call the main office at 662.325.3320 or email advising@comm.msstate.eduCurrent Communication students who would like to change their concentration area within the major should see their advisor or come by the main office (130 McComas). Students who would like to change their major out of Communication should first contact the department of the new major.