Why Students Choose RIT
We asked students why they chose RIT. From their perspective, this is what sets RIT apart.
Rigorous, Professionally-Focused Academic Programs
Technology is driving unprecedented changes in the way we work. Today's college grads need skills–analytical thinking, complex problem solving, creativity, resiliency, and flexibility–that can adapt to evolving career fields.
- Our majors are multidisciplinary, transformative, and future-proof
- Designed to ensure successful outcomes while meeting the ever-changing needs of a new, and evolving, economy
Co-ops, Internships, and Experiential Learning
There’s a reason RIT is ranked among the top schools for co-op and internship programs by U.S. News & World Report (2021). Our cooperative education program is the 4th oldest and one of the largest in the world.
- 4,500+ students participate annually
- 6,100+ co-op assignments completed
- 2,000+ hiring organizations
- $65M earned by co-op students
- Internships may be paid or taken for academic credit
Combined Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Degree Programs
Imagine reducing your total education costs by 33%, increasing your starting salary by approximately 25%, and saving a year of time. This is what comes out of an RIT combined accelerated bachelor’s/master’s degree program.
- 50+ combinations available
- Most are completed within 5 years (including co-op)
- Begin graduate studies as an undergraduate
- Highly qualified first-year applicants are offered conditional admission to a graduate program
Learn more about Combined Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Degree Programs
1 of only 9 national universities recognized by US News for co-op, internships, and undergraduate research.
Undergraduate research at RIT is hands on, and driven by you. Each college within RIT offers opportunities to engage in research.
- Engage in research as early as your first year
- Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium with hundreds of student participants
- 7 Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) pathways supported through the National Science Foundation.
- 30 Goldwater Scholars awarded since 2005 - one of the preeminent scholarships for undergraduate students in the fields of the natural sciences, engineering and mathematics
Study Abroad & International Travel
Challenge yourself, enhance your cultural understanding, and gain a better appreciation of the social issues that affect us all globally.
- 600 study abroad and international experiences
- 60+ countries
- Enroll at one of RIT’s four global campuses — RIT China, RIT Croatia, RIT Dubai, and RIT Kosovo
Designed around three basic ideals—Leadership, Scholarship, and Citizenship—RIT’s Honors Program is where you can challenge yourself in exemplary learning experiences such as undergraduate research projects, Honors courses, independent study, and international experiences
- Early registration for Honors students
- $500 grants available for research, study abroad, projects, and conference travel
- Honors housing guaranteed
- No additional application is required; consideration is automatic after applying to RIT
RIT offers a unique experience and the chance to shape your education in a way that is meaningful to you.
Inclusive, Engaging Community
You bring you! We’ll provide the gifted faculty, unconventional degree programs, career-focused experiential learning, and a vibrant campus life. You’ll be a part of an inclusive community of people from diverse backgrounds who have come together to create, collaborate, innovate, and thrive.
- Recognized as a prestigious "Diversity Champion" by INSIGHT into Diversity magazine for six consecutive years
- Nearly 2,000 international students from over 100 countries
- 2,200 underrepresented students of color have elected to study at RIT
- 900 deaf and hard-of-hearing students supported by RIT’s National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Our Commitment To Financially Supporting Students and Families
Recognizing that no two families’ finances are exactly the same, our Financial Aid and Scholarships staff carefully reviews each family’s circumstances to create a financial aid award designed to help finance an RIT education. That’s why you shouldn’t rule out RIT based simply on cost.
- RIT invests more than $260 million and distributes a total of $450 million to undergraduate students and families.
- You won’t know how much you’ll have to invest unless you apply for admission and complete the FASFA.
No matter the employment opportunity—in a lab or studio space, at one of our recreation or sports facilities, in a university office, or at one of our dining halls or cafes—your experience will help you develop vital career skills and make connections to other members of the RIT community.
- 7,000+ students employed
- $12.50/hr minimum wage
- Positions available across the campus