Transfer Student FAQ


What classes transfer to Mississippi State?

To see what classes transfer to Mississippi State, use the Transfer Course Equivalents page. If your class or college is not listed, please email [email protected] for assistance.

How many hours transfer from a community college?

Students can transfer up to 62 credit hours from a community college.

How many hours from another University will transfer to MSU?

There is not a set number of hours that can be transferred from a University. However, 31 upper-division Arts & Sciences hours must be taken at the Mississippi State University and the last 32 hours of coursework must be completed in residence.

What GPA do I need to become a Communication major?

Transfer students should have a 2.0 GPA overall to be admitted to the major. Additionally, students must have earned a “C” or better in EN 1103 and EN 1113.

Do I need to attend orientation?

Orientation is a great way to familiarize yourself with campus and prepare yourself for the upcoming semester. At orientation you will meet your advisor, register for classes, get your student ID, and much more.

How do I register for classes?

You will register for classes during orientation. You will need to bring a copy of your transcript even if you have already sent the transcript to MSU. 

What if I cannot attend orientation?

If you do not attend orientation, you will need to contact [email protected] to get information on how to register.